It is important for providers to discuss treatment options with all of the risks and benefits carefully considered. Some medications, such as prescription opioids, can help relieve pain in the short term but also come with serious risks and potential complications—and must be prescribed and used carefully. The resources below should be shared with patients to help them better understand the implications of prescription opioids.
- Guideline Information for Patients: Safer, More Effective Pain Management
- Prescription Opioids: What You Need to Know
- Patient Fact Sheet: Promoting Safer and More Effective Pain Management
- Patient Fact Sheet: Pregnancy and Opioid Pain Medications
- Explanation on New Prescription Limits for Acute and Post-operative Pain